July 2021 has earned the number one spot as the world’s hottest month ever recorded on earth, according to new global data released by NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information. This means that the planet is getting hotter and we are using our HVAC systems even more. With rising temperatures comes more desire to use your A/C systems. Here Fritts Heating & Air talks about the data regarding the hottest month on the earth and ways in which it can affect your HVAC system.
- Around the globe: the combined land and ocean-surface temperature was 1.67 degrees F (0.93 of a degree C) above the 20th-century average of 60.4 degrees F (15.8 degrees C), making it the hottest July since records began 142 years ago. It was 0.02 of a degree F (0.01 of a degree C) higher than the previous record set in July 2016, which was then tied in 2019 and 2020.
- The Northern Hemisphere: the land-surface only temperature was the highest ever recorded for July, at an unprecedented 2.77 degrees F (1.54 degrees C) above average, surpassing the previous record set in 2012.
- Regional records: Asia had its hottest July on record, besting the previous record set in 2010; Europe had its second-hottest July on record—tying with July 2010 and trailing behind July 2018; and North America, South America, Africa and Oceania all had a top-10 warmest July.
Extreme Temperatures & Climate Change
With last month’s data, it remains very likely that 2021 will rank among the world’s 10-warmest years on record, according to NCEI’s Global Annual Temperature Rankings Outlook. Extreme heat detailed in NOAA’s monthly NCEI reports is also a reflection of the long-term changes outlined in a major report released this week by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change off site link. “Scientists from across the globe delivered the most up-to-date assessment of the ways in which the climate is changing,” Spinrad said in a statement. “It is a sobering IPCC report that finds that human influence is, unequivocally, causing climate change.”
Using A/C During The Hottest Month
When it comes to cooling down your home during the hottest month, you need to properly use your AC unit. Not only will this help you keep your electricity bill under control and avoid unnecessary expenses, but it will also minimize possible AC issues and damage.
So, what’s the best way to use your air conditioner during these scorching summer days?
- Clean your A/C unit – Make sure to have your A/C filters cleaned or changed periodically to avoid increases in your A/C bill.
- Have your unit inspected – Have the professionals at Fritts Heating & Air come inspect your units bi-annually. This will maximize your systems efficiency and minimize potential system failures.
- Install a smart thermostat – This will allow you to control your indoor temperature better even if you’re not home. A smart thermostat is a great way to reduce your energy consumption.
- Set your AC to the right temperature – Trying to cool your home down to an extremely low temperature while it’s scorching hot outside will put too much pressure on your AC. Instead, find out what the most comfortable temperature for you is and set your thermostat as high as possible.
A Common Mistake
Indoor temperature fluctuations are one of the causes of increased electricity bills and potential air conditioning damage. Some homeowners think that they should turn off or greatly setback their thermostat while they are not home. However, during the hottest month this will consume a lot of energy and may even result in possible damage. You should set your thermostat a few degrees higher temperature while you’re away and let your A/C run. This will save you more money than just turning your thermostat off or leaving your AC on without any setback.
Need A/C Repair?
If you’re faced with a sudden air conditioning breakdown, there’s no better choice than Fritts Heat & Air. We put your comfort at the top of the list, never leaving you waiting or without a resolution. We’ll put our experience to work for you, tackling each job with deep knowledge and up-to-date training in HVAC systems. When it comes to cooling comfort, you can get everything you need when you install an efficient air conditioner. Give us a call today for more information.