Freeze! Air Conditioner Emergencies: Dos and Don’tsJune 13, 2017
Benefits of a Central AC Unit In Your HomeAugust 15, 2017
If we’re talking HVAC, age is not just a number. It’s not always obvious knowing when and whether you should repair or replace your home’s heating and cooling system, especially when faced with an emergency situation. Heating and cooling is the biggest energy user in homes, consuming more than 40% of your energy bill. While there is no “for-certain rule” for replacing, there are many signs and considerations to keep in mind to aid you in making the decision of replacing your HVAC.
Check out our ten easily identifiable signs to see if it’s time to replace your HVAC:
- Your air conditioner or heat pump is more than 10 years old or your furnace or boiler is more than 15 years old. Age is not just a number when we’re talking HVAC. If your equipment is celebrating many birthdays and anniversaries, it may be time to go ahead and replace your HVAC equipment.
- Your equipment is getting slammed with frequent and expensive repairs. Frequent repairs and racked up service bills may indicate your HVAC system needs an upgrade.
- Your energy bill seems a little outrageous each month. Are you paying more than you think you should in energy bills? 40% of your energy bill consists of heating and cooling, and your HVAC may be the culprit to blame when it comes to your high energy bill. This may indicate you need an upgraded HVAC system.
- Certain rooms in your home are either too hot or too cold. If your home is having trouble maintaining homeostasis throughout its entirety, it may be time to upgrade and replace your HVAC system.
- Your home is experiencing humidity problems. Is your air too dry in the winter or too humid in the summer? If so, your equipment may be running poorly or it may be inadequate.
- Dust is present throughout your home. Air ducts are responsible for transporting the heated or cooled air throughout your home. But if there is a leak or hole present in the ductwork, it can pull air and debris from attics, basements, and crawl spaces and scatter the particles throughout your home.
- Your home isn’t as comfortable as it used to be. Comfort is a necessity at home, and if your home comfort seems a bit “off”, this could be an indicator or an aging air conditioner or an incorrectly sized system.
- Your system is loud and noisy. This could indicate an issue with an indoor coil on your cooling equipment.
- You’re away from home for long periods of time. If you frequent business trips during the week or are away all day, it may be a good idea to install a programmable thermostat to save energy and money while you’re away.
- Your air conditioner uses R-22 Freon. To conserve energy nationwide, the federal government is replacing Freon with R-410A Puron, which is much more efficient and reliable. This means the cost of Freon is rising, so if your system is using Freon, it’s a good time to replace your unit.
To gauge the condition of your existing HVAC unit, schedule an inspection today with one of our certified professionals at Fritts Heat & Air.
When your air conditioner needs immediate attention, contact our friendly, hard-working professionals at Fritts Heat & Air. Our technicians are trained to service any equipment brand. We offer quality products and services and reliable solutions to fulfill your heating and air conditioning needs. Call us today at (678) 327-3897 or contact us to learn more.