As winter gets colder, the last thing any homeowner wants to deal with is a malfunctioning heating system. When your HVAC system breaks down in the middle of winter, it can be both inconvenient and uncomfortable. However, before you panic, it’s crucial to know that there are steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue and get your heating system back on track. Here, Fritts Heating & Air will walk you through some emergency heating solutions, from DIY troubleshooting to when it’s time to call in the professionals.
Troubleshooting Steps To Consider
- Check The Thermostat – The first step in troubleshooting your heating system is to check the thermostat. Ensure that it’s set to the desired temperature and heating mode and replace the batteries if necessary. Sometimes, a simple thermostat adjustment can solve the problem.
- Inspect the Air Filters – Dirty or clogged air filters can restrict airflow, causing your HVAC system to work harder and potentially break down. Regularly inspect and replace your air filters, especially during the winter months when the system is in heavy use.
- Examine The Circuit Breaker – If your heating system is not responding, check the circuit breaker to see if it has tripped. Reset it if needed. A tripped circuit breaker could be the reason your HVAC system is not functioning correctly.
- Check The Pilot Light – For gas furnaces, check the pilot light. If it’s out, relight it following the manufacturer’s instructions. If you encounter any issues or if the pilot light continues to go out, it’s time to call in a professional gas technician.
- Inspect The Vents & Registers – Ensure that all vents and registers are open and unobstructed. Blocked airflow can lead to uneven heating or system malfunctions. Clear any obstructions and make sure that furniture or curtains are not blocking the airflow.
When to Call Fritts Heating & Air
- Unusual Sounds or Smells – If you notice strange sounds or unpleasant odors coming from your heating system, it’s a sign that something may be seriously wrong. Strange noises or smells could indicate issues with the furnace, such as a malfunctioning blower motor or a gas leak. In these instances, turn off the system immediately and contact Fritts Heat & Air.
- Frequent Cycling On and Off – If your heating system is constantly cycling on and off, known as short cycling, it could be a sign of a malfunction. Short cycling not only reduces efficiency but can also lead to premature wear and tear on the system. Our qualified HVAC technicians can diagnose and address the root cause of your issue.
- No Improvement After Troubleshooting – If you’ve gone through the troubleshooting steps and your heating system still isn’t working, it’s time to call Fritts for help. Attempting to fix complex issues without the proper knowledge and tools can lead to further damage.
- Age of the System – The average lifespan of an HVAC system is around 15-20 years. If your system is approaching or has surpassed this age, and you’re experiencing frequent breakdowns, it may be more cost-effective to invest in a new, energy-efficient system rather than continuing to repair an aging one.
Choosing The Right HVAC Company
When looking for professional HVAC help, it’s crucial to choose a knowledgeable and reputable HVAC company. Consider the following factors:
- Experience & Expertise – Look for a company like Fritts Heating & Air with a proven track record and experienced technicians. Check customer reviews and testimonials to gauge the satisfaction of previous clients.
- Licensing & Certification – Ensure that the HVAC company and its technicians are licensed and certified. This ensures that they have the necessary training and meet industry standards. Ask to see their licenses before any work has begun.
- Transparent Pricing – A reliable HVAC company will provide transparent pricing and upfront estimates for their services. Avoid companies that give vague or unclear quotes. This will lead to hidden fees and higher costs.
Did Your HVAC System Break Down? Call Us Today!
Experiencing a heating system breakdown during winter can be a stressful situation. With the right knowledge and a proactive approach, homeowners can navigate through the winter successfully. By following the troubleshooting steps mentioned above, you may be able to identify and resolve minor issues. However, when faced with more complex problems or when in doubt, it’s always best to call Fritts Heating & Air.
Remember, a well-maintained heating system is less likely to break down, so regular maintenance is key to preventing emergencies. Schedule annual HVAC inspections and tune-ups to ensure your system operates efficiently throughout the winter months. If you need HVAC services in Atlanta, GA and throughout North Georgia, you can rely on us for your HVAC repairs and installation for residential and commercial properties. Since our inception, our philosophy has been to provide our customers with quality and affordable HVAC services through professionalism and honesty. Give us a call today!